Friday, March 6, 2009

A Quieted Heart

Today I read the first chapter of Keep a Quiet Heart by Elisabeth Elliot. It is amazing how convicted I can get after reading only four pages of a book. This particular chapter, as an introduction, focuses broadly on the quiet heart.
Here are a quite a few quotes that I really like:

"To be negligent is to omit to do what a resonable man would do. Would Jesus omit that? Yes, on occasion, when faith pierced beyond reason. This 'negligent' trust - is it careless, inattentive, indolent? No, not in His case. Jesus, because His will was one with His Father's, could be free from care. He had the blessed assurance of knowing that His Father would do the caring, would be attentive to His Son's need. Was Jesus indolent? No, never lazy, sluggish, or slothful, but He knew when to take action and when to leave things up to His Father. He taught us to work and watch but never to worry, to do gladly whatever we are given to do, and to leave all else with God."
"Every assignment is measured and controlled for my eternal good. As I accept the given portion other options are cancelled. Decisions become much easier, directions clearer, and hence my heart becomes inexpressibly quieter."
- page 18

"A quiet heart is content with what God gives. It is enough. All is grace."
"We can only know that Eternal Love is wiser than we, and we bow down in adoration of that loving wisdom."
- page 19

I tend to be a worrier. I really like to take care of things and people, so when things aren't getting done, a lot of the times I will attempt to take on the whole world by myself. It's not that I think I am capable of handling everything, but rather it is the "assurance" of knowing that things are being handled - a love of control, if you will. It is so hard for worriers to see things and not take action, but to trust that God is in control. One of the hardest passages for me to wrap my mind around is in Mark 4:35-41...Here we see Jesus sleeping through a fierce storm while He is in the middle of a lake on a boat. Those circumstances would be highly stressful, and we see that all of the disciples are freaking out (worrying), yet the Lord is asleep with the calm assurance that God is in control, and that He is taking action. I pray that God would create in me this quiet trust.

"The choice is ours. It depends on our willingness to see everything in God, receive all from His hand, accept with gratitude just the portion and the cup He offers. Shall I charge Him with a mistake in His measurements or with misjudging the sphere in which I can best learn to trust Him? Has He misplaced me? Is He ignorant of things or people which, in my view, hinder my doing His will?"
"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances."
- page 20

I am the clay, He is the Potter. He knows me better than I could ever know myself. He knows everything that is on my mind, and all that hides away in my heart. He places me in circumstances that will best help me to trust in Him.

We sang this song last night at Alive, and I love it. I think it goes right along with the rest of this post:
"You Are My Portion"
Father I will not worry about tomorrow or all of its questions
Father I will just trust you
And I will be waiting for treasures in heaven
My heart is with you for there my treasure lies
My eyes are on you for you are my delight
Though I may not wear the garments of princes
You are my portion you are my portion
For you clothe me in your righteousness
You are my portion you are my portion
Though I may not sit at the table of kings
You are my portion you are my portion
For you feed me from the abundance of your hand
You are my portion you are my portion Lord
My everything you meet my every need
You cover me and make me be at peace


2 comments:

  1. This post really encouraged me and I'm so thankful you wrote it.

    "...but He knew when to take action and when to leave things up to His Father. He taught us to work and watch but never to worry, to do gladly whatever we are given to do, and to leave all else with God."

    This is something I am learning a lot about right now. When I am faced with circumstances, I also tend to want to take action and see that the need is met. I know that is faulty thinking, however. There are usually two voices in my heart, and one voice is God saying, "No, I want to fight that battle for you, I want to take care of this for you. Just give it to Me and let Me handle this," and the other voice is saying, "If you don't handle this right now it won't ever get handled, why are you just sitting back and letting things fall apart? Go go go go go." Too often I think I hear the second voice, so Trisha, this was a really good post for me to read. It was a good reminder to me about God wanting to take care of us. "Keep a Quiet Heart" is one of my all-time favorite books and I feel moved to go ahead and re-read a few chapters.

    I love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances."
    ...Amen! I love this quote =)
    <3

    ReplyDelete